born to nurture

Friday, February 19, 2010

yes, i admit it and i'm ready to face the consquences. i was born to nurture all living things that come within my grasp. i can't help it. you think i wouldn't rather have been a cutthroat businesswoman? a wily politician? kate austin with a pistol tucked into the back of my pants? rather than a chubby grandma pottering around my kitchen making things grow?

well, there it is. i can't help it, it's my destiny.

here is how i know it must be true. in spite of four of my five children and three of my six (soon to be four of seven) grandchildren living near and needing nurturing occasionally, and in spite of a 1/4 acre garden and 1/2 acre of fruit: in my kitchen right now i have french bread rising, a homemade sourdough starter bubbling on the counter, and yogurt yogging (yes, yogging) in the yogurt maker. the thought of all of those little lactobacilli, yeasts, and other random microorganisms teeming in my kitchen makes me really happy. oh, and i also have an in-kitchen herb-garden-in-a-pot and about 12 sweet potato slips in my window sill, all growing and being happy. AND (almost forgot) milkweed seeds being cold treated in the frig so they can be planted in spring and attract butterflies for me to take care of. no, they're NOT doing fine by themselves. THEY NEED ME!!!

like i said, i can't help it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment