the darker side of DUCKS

Wednesday, June 9, 2010


some may question that ducks have a darker side. hah! (mirthless laugh). our two female ducks are "on the nest," as they say in "it's a wonderful life," except that they really are. sitting on nests. about 23 hours a day. our one male duck is also sitting on a nest 23 hours a day. he was guarding the female ducks and nests first, but then i think they got annoyed with him and gave him a couple of eggs and said, "here. do something useful, and for heaven's sake, BE QUIET."

these female ducks have undergone a complete change in personality since they laid their eggs.



yes, they have gone from docile, sweet, funny pets, to being threatening and sinister. the other day i went in their pen (to give them food, mind you, and they know me!), and they both came at me. one aimed a peck at my shoe, i aimed a kick at its head. both of us missed. they pecked at chickens who were just standing there, and then one ran out of the pen and pecked one of my cats. now, you can't that that is the behavior of a psychologically normal duck. they resembled nothing so much as animated bulb horns (see fig. 1).

so that's what's happening on my little wannabe farm today. anybody want a duck?







2 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds like your ducks are taking the protective mother attributes to a new level by pinching everything and everybody in sight. Hopefully they will calm down when the babies get here and they are busy gathering bugs and showing the youngins how to catch their own food. Have fun!

Alice said...

I feel like that some days. I use to be a fun, cute duck ... then I got some eggs to sit on every day. Now I'm the obnoxious mother duck.

Post a Comment