how to stay married for 39 years, the monarch shortage, and the fibonacci sequence (something for everyone!)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010



this is a charming, happy picture of me and my 39-year partner in life looking charming and happy. and it's not a lie; we ARE sometimes charming and happy.

THE SECRET TO STAYING TOGETHER FOR 39 YEARS:

don't leave.



WHY I HAVEN'T HAD ANY COMMENTS, PICTURES, ETC., ABOUT BUTTERFLIES LATELY:

i saw a monarch butterfly in april. that was the last time. my milkweed and asclepias tuberosa are both growing and blooming beautifully, but no monarch has been by to lay her egges. i should know, i check every blooming day. no pun intended. there is nothing to say about butterflies right now. i do have lots of tiger swallowtails because i planted fennel and dill, which they love, and i have seen their eggs and their very beautiful caterpillars on it. but i don't bring them in the house and watch them grow and turn into butterflies, because every time i have tried they die.

THE FIBONACCI SEQUENCE:

my good friend lois, who is a writer, is in a writers' group. for one of their projects, they wrote poems based on the fibonacci sequence. for those of you who are not properly educated (i.e. haven't seen the da vinci code or looked up fibonacci on wikipedia), here is some information on the fibonacci sequence. leonardo of pisa, who for some reason was called signor fibonacci, in the 1200s, described a sequence of numbers beginning with 0, 1, in which each additional number in the sequence is the sum of the two previous numbers. therefore: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13....... (you would all KNOW this if you saw the right movies and didn't always depend on ME!)

the writers wrote poems in which the first line had one syllable, the second had one, the third had two, etc. (i guess the real first line of the poem had zero and was left blank.) here is her poem, which i think is lovely.

White
Blooms
Sprinkle
Glossy green
Towers of cool shade---
My Mississippi magnolia.
--Lois Bartholomew

here is my attempt:

Burp!
Oops.
'Scuse me
Pass the pig,
Hushpuppies, slaw, beans.
My barbecue joint. Again, burp!

you can see, she not only is a better poet than me, she also has higher and more beautiful thoughts.

send me your fibonacci poem, and if yours is the best you will be rewarded with a fabulous prize.


2 comments:

Christy said...

Seriously...I almost fell out of my chair laughing...

Lois said...

do I get a prize. Thanks for the kind words!

Post a Comment