alone at last

Friday, March 19, 2010

because my children were spaced out pretty severely when they were born......wait, let me try that again.  my five children were born over almost 20 years; and therefore, the intervals, or spaces between them, were mostly pretty long.  during all of their growth and development i would hear other women talk about the fact that when all of their children were in school they would be alone for five or so hours a day.  that sounded pretty good to me. 

well, the older four have gone and left me alone (just as they got nice to be around, i might add).  BUT ("everybody has a big BUT" - pee wee herman) my youngest, who is 18, has down syndrome, which makes her 18 going on 11 some days, 18 going on 30 some days, and 18 going on 4 other days.  i decided when she was supposed to go to middle school that the middle school atmosphere was not one which would provide her with the safety and emotional security that a mother might hope for (snark!).  so she has been home with me since then (about four years).  this basically makes her my life buddy. 

she is a wonderful companion, helpful and happy and loving.   but i am never n.e.v.e.r. alone.  so i invented the daddy-daughter date tradition.  okay, okay, so i didn't invent it.  but i have encouraged it and am now a master at making my husband feel like a mean father if he objects.  they have gone to see "avatar" in 3D tonight.  (two birds with one stone: now i don't have to see avatar.)

i will play spider solitaire, listen to my music as loud as i want and even sing out loud and dance with no one standing around being not amused, watch sense and sensibility (with emma thompson and hugh grant, the amazing life-sized marionette) without receiving any flack, eat whatever i want, even popcorn.  what would or what do YOU do with three hours of alone time?


1 comments:

Mary said...

You said "the older five have gone," but there are only five of us. You meant the older four. Also, I think you forgot to mention that you miss the fourth so much more than the other three.

I love to do housework when Christian's not at home. In fact, I insist on only doing it when he's away, which is why our kitchen gets so gross on the weekend.

Post a Comment