ladybugs: not just for breakfast

Monday, March 15, 2010



one of my many science projects is my sweet potato slip farm. a dear friend gave me a sweet potato "mother," and i have been pulling off, rooting, and potting the "daughters" to produce all of the sweet potato slips i want for my garden this year. please don't ask me what happens to the male segment of sweet potato society, i have no idea, and if my friend knows, she's not letting on.

the only problem with my sweet potato mothers was that they were covered with aphids. i had a sticky (literally) little chore every day of squishing the aphids so they wouldn't distract or hurt my mothers.

one day i found a ladybug charging about in another part of the house, and (now you can foresee the punch line of this story) i carried her in and put her on a sweet potato leaf. there are now five ladybugs living with the mothers, and it's been weeks since i saw an aphid.

go figure.


3 comments:

Mary said...

What will your ladybugs eat after all the aphids are gone?

chris said...

deviled eggs?

Mary said...

Deviled eggs sound really good right now. I saw a recipe in Better Homes & Gardens this month for deviled eggs that looked good; when I feel better I might try it.

Post a Comment